Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Credit for this recipe goes to TWoolfe and Mirjam who came up with the idea in chat. I served it with baked salmon steaks and a sweet pepper stir-fry.
- 4 tomatoes, tops cut off and hollowed out
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 carrot, sliced into rounds
- 6 button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 vegetable bouillon cubes or 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1 cup arborio rice or 1 cup basmati rice
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄8 cup parmesan cheese
- very hot water, as needed
- pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon oil or 1 tablespoon butter, to saute with
- 1 tablespoon extra parmesan cheese, for sprinkling
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and throw in the onions, carrots and jalapeno pepper.
- Sauté for a few minutes before adding the rice, bullion cube and just enough water to cover.
- Let simmer for a few minutes, adding water 1/2 cup at a time when the pan starts to get dry until the rice is cooked.
- About five minutes before the rice is done, add the corn and the mushrooms.
- About two minutes before the rice is done, add the milk and the parmesan cheese.
- Reduce heat and let cook slowly until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Season with pepper.
- Stuff the tomatoes with a couple spoonfuls of rice, top with a sprinkling of parmesan (and some parsley if you like) and place on a baking tray.
- Bake at about 180 C or 375 F until the tomatoes are soft, about 15 minutes.
- Serve and take any leftover risotto with you for lunch the next day!