Recipe by rsarahl
Splendid appetizer for an Italian meal. Easily adapted into a vegetarian entree with the addition of a whole grain or pasta. I like to serve this with a lemony quinoa pilaf and crisp green salad. Cook time is marinating time.
- 4 large tomatoes, vine ripened
- 2 avocados, cut in 1/2 inch cubes
- 6 ounces mozzarella cheese, cut in 1/2 inch cubes
- 4 ounces mushrooms, stems removed,caps sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- salt and pepper, to taste
- chives (for garnish) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut each tomato in half and scoop out the seeds.
- Set the halves on a serving platter.
- In a blender, whiz the garlic, basil, balsamic vinegar, mustard, olive oil and white wine.
- Adjust flavor to your palate as necessary--- then add salt and pepper to taste.
- In a medium size bowl, toss dressing with avocado, mushroom and mozzarella until coated.
- Cover and set aside in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to marinate.
- Stuff the tomato halves with the avocado/mozzarella mixture, garnish with chives and serve.