Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe also came from the "Eating Well" magazine, 2005. This recipe is an excellent variation for the tomato. It is delicious! I modified the recipe for posting purposes.
- 4 ounces ground beef
- 1 cup cooked brown rice or 1⁄2 cup instant brown rice
- 4 large tomatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup green peas (cooked, if fresh, thawed, but not cooked, if frozen)
- 1⁄4 cup red onion, minced
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated, divided
- 1 tablespoon parsley, minced
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat an 8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray. Cook ground beef in a skillet over medium-high heat, breaking up pieces, until done.
- Pour into a large bowl.
- If using cooked rice, go to Step 4. To prepare instant brown rice, bring ½ cup water to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- Add cooked rice to the bowl with the meat.
- Meanwhile, cut enough off the top of each tomato to remove the core (1/2 to 1 inch). Scoop out the inside of the tomato using a teaspoon. Finely chop ½ cup of the pulp and add to the bowl with the rice and meat. Season the inside of the tomatoes with ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Add peas, onion, ¼ cup cheese, parsley, the remaining ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper to the rice mixture. Stir to combine. Divide the mixture evenly among the tomatoes and place the tomatoes in the prepared baking dish. Combine the remaining ¼ cup cheese, breadcrumbs, oil, and garlic in a small bowl. Sprinkle the mixture on top of the tomatoes.
- Bake the tomatoes until the crumbs are golden brown and the tomatoes are soft, 25 to 30 minutes. Serve immediately. Makes 4 servings.