This is a fabulous recipe to help use some of those beautifully ripe tomatoes in your garden. If you use extra large tomatoes you may want to add in a little more (sausage, bread and/or cheese) when making the filling. Using a homegrown tomato with a lot of flavor just makes this recipe. I like to use large cupcake baking cup liners to help hold the tomato upright on the pan. I hope you will enjoy this recipe as much as we have!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 large tomatoes
- 8 ounces bulk sausage
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2/3 cup onion, diced
- 2/3 cup celery, diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced (or 1 tsp dried)
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, minced (or 1 tsp dried)
- 1 cup bread, torn into small pieces
- 1/2-2/3 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (or use fresh cut into small pieces)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- fresh parmesan cheese, grated
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- 2Coat cooking pan large enough to hold tomatoes with cooking spray (or use cupcake baking cups to hold tomatoes in pan).
- 3Slice top off tomatoes large enough to remove inside (about top third or less. You want to be able to fill the tomato easily).
- 4Remove inside of tomato with spoon or melon baller. I find a grapefruit spoon with serrated edges works well for this.
- 5Arrange tomatoes in pan secured in baking cups if using; set aside.
- 6In a large skillet over medium heat brown sausage, stirring to crumble (about 5 mins).
- 7Add butter, onion, celery and garlic and continue cooking until onion softens, stirring occasionally (3-5 mins).
- 8Add rosemary, oregano and bread. Cook and stir 2 more minutes.
- 9Add in chicken broth, mozzarella cheese and season with salt and pepper.
- 10Fill tomatoes with sausage mixture.
- 11Bake for about 20 minutes, or until tops are browning and tomatoes are softened.
- 12Sprinkle with grated Parmesan Cheese and cook another 5 minutes, or until cheese has melted.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Stuffed Tomatoes
Serving Size: 1 (364 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 349.0
- Calories from Fat 211
- Total Fat 23.5 g
- Saturated Fat 10.3 g
- Cholesterol 78.7 mg
- Sodium 688.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 7.1 g
- Protein 18.3 g