Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
A great recipe--you can also stuff capsicum, eggplants, and zucchini.
- 12 ripe tomatoes
- 1⁄2 lb ground lamb
- 1 medium finely chopped onion
- 2 chopped garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 6 tablespoons long-grain white rice
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 sprigs of fresh mint
- 1 pinch grated nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- Wash the tomatoes then turn each stem side down, and with a sharp knife cut the end to make an opening, leaving a "cap" on the tomatoes.
- With a small spoon, scoop the pulp into a bowl.
- Place the tomato shells in a baking dish Sprinkle the inside of the shells with salt and sugar.
- Heat the oil in a skillet and add the onions.
- Cook over low heat until soft then add the garlic and parsley, and blend.
- Add the meat, the wine and water.
- Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the rice and tomato pulp and stir.
- Cover the skillet and simmer for 7 minutes, then add salt, pepper, mint and nutmeg.
- Remove from heat, and fill the tomatoes up two thirds of the way with the stuffing and liquid.
- Cover with the tomato caps and brush with oil.
- Bake in a preheated oven (350°F) for 60 minutes.