Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 min
A Spanish tapa. It is essentially egg salad in a tomato. Tuna or chicken salad would also be delicious here. Really nice accompaniment to a green salad or any sandwich or just by itself for lunch.
- 8 small tomatoes
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, cooled and peeled
- 6 tablespoons aioli or 6 tablespoons mayonnaise
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- olive oil (optional)
- First core and skin the tomatoes; cut out the core with a knife, then score the other end with an "X". Drop each tomato in a pan of boiling water for about 10 seconds, then place in an ice water bath to stop cooking. The skin should now remove easily.
- Slice the tops off the tomatoes, reserve. Scoop out any seeds that remain. Season with a little salt and pepper. If any of the tomatoes won't stand up nice, just slice a bit off the bottom to make them stable.
- Chop the eggs and combine with the aioli or mayonnaise. Season with salt, pepper, and parsley. Stuff into the tomatoes, then cover with reserved tops.
- If prepared ahead, brush lightly with olive oil and cover with plastic wrap.
I never thought of stuffing a tomato with egg salad before but it actually did work. I think the importance is to have really fresh tasting tomatoes. So, that makes it a perfect recipe for summer when they are in abundance. I think if the recipe was changed to be cherry tomatoes it would be a nice party canape. Made for the Family Picks portion of ZWT5 for the Chow Hounds.
Easy and delicious! I left the skins on the tomatoes, omitted the salt and used mayonnaise. Thanks for sharing!