- 4 medium large tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 cups coarsely chopped fresh spinach
- 2 -3 tablespoons finely chopped shallots or 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon coriander
- 1 cup cooked basmati rice (I use leftovers)
- 1 ounce shredded mozzarella cheese (or any dry, light colored cheese.)
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice the stem end off each tomato -- about 1/4 inch.
- Scoop out pulp creating a shell about 1/2 in thick -- a melon baller works well. Reserve the pulp.
- Turn the hollowed out tomatoes upside down on a paper towel to drain.
- Over medium-high heat, saute the chopped shallots and minced garlic in olive oil for about 3 minutes.
- Add the reserved tomato pulp, spinach and coriander to the onion-garlic mixture.
- Saute, stirring frequently, until spinach is wilted and bright green -- roughly 3 minutes.
- In a bowl, gently blend together the rice, spinach mixture, mayonnaise, lemon juice, and half of the cheese.
- Spoon the spinach filling into the tomato shells (if extra, its a fun snack!).
- Bake at 325°F for 15 minutes in a shallow baking dish (spray with cooking spray first).
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the tops and bake an additional 3 to 5 minutes until cheese melts.
- To serve, sprinkle toasted pine nuts on top.