Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
easy to make, and quite tasty too
- 5 medium tomatoes
- 1⁄2 lb fresh spinach, steamed with moisture taken out
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons pine nuts
- 1⁄4 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese
- 2⁄3 cup cooked rice
- 2 teaspoons butter
- Cut a 1/2" slice off of top's of tomatoes.
- Scoop insides out.
- Lightly sprinkle with salt.
- Invert and drain on paper towel.
- In a small fry-pan over med-low heat toast pine nuts.
- In a blender or processor combine spinach, nuts, garlic, basil, salt and pepper; process until coarsely chopped.
- Stir mixture into rice.
- Stir in parmesan cheese.
- Spoon into tomatoes and place in a shallow casserole dish.
- Bake at 250°F oven for 15-20 minutes, or just until tender, not too soft.
We liked this veggie dish. I used more rice, basil (fresh) and pine nuts (kept them whole) and less salt and spinach for our tastes. They should be named pesto stuffed tomatoes!
This was a really tasty side dish. Actually, it was two side dishes because it had tomatoes and spinach and rice. I was so glad this called for fresh spinach because I dislike using the frozen stuff. The toasted pine nuts were a wonderful addition because of their 'tooth" value. Would not hesitate to serve this to company. Thnx for posting, Cheryl. Made for My-3-Chefs Spring 2008.