These tomatoes are stuffed with spinach, cheese and toasted sunflower seeds. They are individually wrapped which make them perfect for a bbq where you may have to share the grill. Veggies and meat eaters both liked them. We like this with more garlic and red chili flakes. From 1000 Vegetarian Recipes from Around the World.
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy pan.
- Add sunflower seeds to the pan and cook, stirring constantly for 2 minutes until golden.
- Add the onion and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, until soft but not brown.
- Add the garlic, the optional red pepper flakes and the spinach, cover, and cook for a further 2-3 minutes until the spinach has wilted.
- Remove from the heat and season to taste with nutmeg, salt and pepper. Let cool.
- Cut off and reserve a thin slice from the top of each tomato and scoop out the flesh with a spoon, taking care not to pierce the shell. Chop the flesh and stir into the spinach and cheese mixture.
- Fill each tomato shells with some of the spinach and cheese mixture and replace the tops.
- Cut 4 squares of foil, each large enough to enclose a tomato. Place 1 tomato int he center of each square and fold up the sides to enclose securly.
- Cook the stuffed tomatoes on a hot grill, turning them occasionally, for 10 minutes.
- Serve immedicately in the foil parcels.
- Note: I have also baked these in a hot oven and they turned out great.