Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
From the Weekend magazine, Foodcourt column!
- 8 oval ripe firm tomatoes (egg-shaped)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 cup onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cups mushrooms, washed,drained and chopped (Use fresh/canned, but be sure to wash the canned ones in plenty of water before proceeding)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 green chilies, chopped
- 1 tablespoon coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon mint leaf, chopped
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup gram flour
- 1 teaspoon chat masala
- oil, to deep fry
- Chop off the tops of tomatoes.
- Scoop out pulp and seeds.
- Turn tomatoes upside down and let drain completely on absorbent paper towels.
- Melt butter in a non-stick pan.
- Add onions and chopped mushrooms.
- Stir-fry until mushrooms are well-browned and almost crisp.
- Remove from heat.
- Add grated cheese, green chillies, corriander and mint leaves.
- Mix well.
- Stuff tomatoes with mushroom-cheese mixture.
- Pack tightly.
- Make a batter of medium thick consistency by mixing the gramflour with the chaat masala powder, salt and a little water.
- Dip each tomato carefully in the prepared batter.
- Deep fry in hot oil.
- Serve hot with chutney.