Recipe by Happy_Housewife
This is actually Ma po tofu in dumpling form. Instead of stir frying all ingredients together, tofu is stuff with meat and served with sauce. This is a good recipe to try for the fun of things! I find it very tasty and healthy for my family. Courtesy of Food&Wine.
- 1⁄3 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup unseasoned rice vinegar
- 2 large scallions, white parts only, thinly sliced
- 2 1⁄4 lbs firm tofu, cut into thirty-six 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 lb ground pork or 1 lb ground chicken or 1 lb ground turkey
- 4 large scallions, green parts only, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon chinese chili bean paste
- 1 tablespoon fermented black beans, rinsed and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 large beaten egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- SAUCE: In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, vinegar, chili-bean paste and scallions.
- The tofu: With a small melon baller, hollow out the tofu cubes and reserve the balls.
- Put the tofu balls in a large bowl and add the remaining ingredients.
- With your hands, mix thoroughly.
- Carefully stuff each tofu cube with the meat. Spread a little cornstarch in the hole to ensure the meat stick onto the tofu(this is optional).
- To steam the tofu:.
- Fill a wok or a very large skillet with 2 inches of water and bring to a boil.
- Arrange the dumplings in a double-tiered bamboo steamer; set the steamer over the boiling water.
- Cover and steam until the filling is firm and cooked throughly, it would take about 10 minutes.
- Serve the dumplings with the sauce.