The sushi-like rolls of Stuffed Swiss Chard are filled with rice and grated vegetables and sprinkled with sesame-soy sauce. Quick tip: Using a mini chopper or food processor cuts prep time for this dish in half. From Country Living magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 large leaves swiss chard
- 1 cup cooked white rice (I like to use brown rice)
- 2 carrots, coarsely grated (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup cucumber, seeded, peeled and coarsely grated
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1Prepare Swiss Chard:
- 2Fill a large bowl with ice water and set aside. Fill a large saucepan with water and bring to a boil over high heat. Blanch chard leaves by submerging in the boiling water until the rib is softened and the leaves become limp - about 1 minute. Transfer to the prepared ice bath, drain cooled leaves, and stack between sheets of paper towel until dry. Cut out the rib on each leaf and set leaves aside.
- 3Make the rolls:
- 4Combine the rice, carrot, mint, cucumber, 1/2 the onion, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, ginger, honey, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Place about 1/4 cup of filling in the center of a chard leaf and roll into a cigar shape. Repeat with rest of filling and leaves. Keep chilled until ready to serve.
- 5Make the Dipping Sauce:.
- 6Mix the rice vinegar, sugar, remaining soy sauce, remaining onion, sesame oil, and pepper flakes in a small bowl until combined. Serve alongside rolls.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Stuffed Swiss Chard
Serving Size: 1 (63 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 73.5
- Calories from Fat 11
- Total Fat 1.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 356.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 6.4 g
- Protein 1.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: