Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a mild and pretty side dish that can be made ahead, then popped into the oven when you're cooking dinner. Great with grilled chicken or steak. I usually plan 2 squash halves per person -- if they're not all eaten, more for me!
- 2 -2 1⁄2 lbs green pattypan squash
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green onion
- 3 tablespoons whipping cream or 3 tablespoons milk
- 5 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese or 5 tablespoons romano cheese
- 1 cup grated swiss cheese
- 3 tablespoons Italian breadcrumbs or 3 tablespoons plain breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper
- Steam whole squash until tender; drain and cool.
- Scoop out flesh, leaving about 1/4-1/2 inch border around the edges.
- Measure 1 tablespoon of the bread crumbs and 2 tablespoons of the parmesan (or romano) cheese; set aside.
- Chop the squash flesh in a bowl; mix in the cream cheese, green onion, cream, swiss cheese and the remaining parmesan and bread crumbs.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Fill squash shells with the above mixture.
- Top with the reserved bread crumbs and parmesan.
- Refrigerate until ready to cook.
- Bake at 350 F for 40 minutes, or until tops are brown.
Yummy!!! This one goes in the family cook book.