Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is an easy, wonderful summertime use of tomatoes for a light lunch or dinner. I love these. Recipe serves 4 but I can easily east half by myself.
- 4 large tomatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed or 1⁄2-1 teaspoon fresh basil
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 2⁄3 cup herb-seasoned stuffing cubes (not Stove Top)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 teaspoons grated parmesan cheese (or more)
- Cut tops off tomatoes and scoop out pulp. Chop tops and pulp and drain excess liquid.
- Sprinkle inside of tomatoes with salt. Turn upside down to let drain for about 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle inside of drained tomatoes with crushed basil. Or add fresh chopped basil to cooked meat mixture later.
- Brown beef and onion in skillet; drain excess fat if necessary. Stir in pulp, stuffing cubes, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and worchestershire sauce, add fresh chopped basil hereif using in lieu of dried. Mix together thoroughly and stuff the tomatoes.
- Sprinkle tomatoes with parmesan cheese and place in a shallow baking dish. Fill dish with approximately 1/2 inch of water. Bake at 375°F for 25 to 30 minutes.