Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
These came out fabulous and were fairly simple to prepare. Original recipe on southernfood.about.com with a slight change for our tastes (I will include the original ingredients) I used a smart pot for this one, finished in about 2 hours on high, but if left longer it would caramelize the onions and probably be even better!
- 2 lbs round steaks, cut in 4 to 6 serving size pieces
- 1 (6 ounce) box Stove Top stuffing mix or 1 (6 ounce) boxother seasoned stuffing mix
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 1 (14 ounce) can low-fat cream of celery soup
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup water
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 (14 -16 ounce) cansliced stewed tomatoes
- 1 celery rib, diced (optional)
- 1 bunch green onion, diced (optional)
- Pound each steak until thinned to about 1/4-inch. Saute bacon,( celery, and green onion if using); drain off fat. Combine sauteed bacon and vegetables with DRY stuffing mix (including seasoning with the mix, if any).
- Stir in half the cream of celery soup and enough water to moisten.
- Place sliced onions in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Spread stuffing mixture on each flattened steak; roll up and secure with toothpicks; place on top of onions.
- Spoon remaining cream of celery soup over the rolls, then pour the tomatoes over all.
- Cover and cook 8 to 10 hours on low, or 4 to 6 hours on high.
This was really simple to do, and pretty darn tasty. The family has requested that we have this dish again. I didn't have any bacon on hand when we started to make this, so we sauted the onion and celery in butter instead. It still came out really well. Made for PAC 2008.