1/1 Photo of Stuffed Squash Blossoms
This recipe is one of my own but was inspired by those that I ate in Greece. The masa harina makes for a more crisp, delicate batter than all-purpose flour or cornmeal. To prepare squash blossoms: cut off the green stems and strip away the stringy inner sepals, leaving the base and stamen intact. While the recipe calls for a gruyere-cheddar blend (available at Trader Joe's), you could substitute 1/2 white cheddar, 1/2 gruyere.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped mixed herbs, such as chives, tarragon, chevril
- 1 tablespoon finely minced white onion
- 12 fresh open squash blossoms
- 1/4 cup cream cheese (softened)
- 4 ounces grated cheese, gruyere-cheddar blend
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup masa harina
- fresh ground white pepper
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 1In a small bowl, mix together the herbs, shallot and cheese.
- 2Open up the individual blossoms wide enough to insert a teaspoonful of cheese mixture. Do not overfill or fried blossoms will be soggy. Twist the ends of the blossom together gently. Note: there will probably be leftover of the cheese mixture but never fear, it is absolutely delicious spread on a bagel in the morning.
- 3In a medium bowl, beat 2 eggs together with 1/4 cup milk. In a separate medium bowl, mix together masa harina, salt, and pepper. Dip each blossom into the egg mixture and then roll quickly and evenly in the masa harina mixture, gently shaking off excess. Refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- 4Pour 1 inch of oil into a small shallow saucepan or skillet. Heat oil to 350 degrees. Deep-fry the blossoms in batches until they begin to turn light golden brown, turning to cook evenly. Drain on baking rack set over paper towels, and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Stuffed Squash Blossoms
Serving Size: 1 (457 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 98.0
- Calories from Fat 47
- Total Fat 5.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 43.0 mg
- Sodium 121.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 4.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: