Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Makes a very impressive Christmas vegan main. I would serve half a squash to one person although if your squash is large you may want to serve a quarter per person.
- 1⁄2 cup dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 butternut squash, halved with seeds reserved and removed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 teaspoon crushed coriander seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried chili
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary, leaves stripped and chopped
- 5 sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 100 g white basmati rice
- 1⁄4 cup toasted pine nuts
- Soak mushrooms for 5 minutes in 140ml boiling water.
- Heat oven to 230c.
- Using a spoon enlarge the cavity in the squashleaving about 1/2 on each side in the squash.
- Chop the removed fleash and fry in the oil with the onion, garlic, rosemary, coriander, chilli and tomatoes for 4 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and half of the soaking water. Cook for another 2 minutes.
- Stir in rice and pine nuts.
- Pack the mixtur tightly into the cavities of the squash and press the two halves together.
- If desired rub the skin of the squash with more olive oil and wrap in foil.
- Bake for 75 minutes.