1 hr 15 mins
A really good recipe, low cal, lots of veggies. And kids love it. I'll put a few variations in it as well. Everything is approximate, so hope you can cook this way!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 lb ground beef (or veggie burger) or 1 lb ground turkey (or veggie burger) or 1 lb ground chicken (or veggie burger)
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, crushed, diced
- 1/2 large onion, finely chopped
- 1/2-1 bell pepper, diced (use all colors, red, green, yellow, orange for color)
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon oil or 1 teaspoon cooking spray
- italian seasoning mix (oregano, basil, etc)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese or 1 cup feta
- 1Pierce the squash along one side in a straight line. Don't poke holes all over. You are using the skin as a casserole dish and it will leak if you poke it all over.
- 2Microwave the squash about 8-10 minutes, high heat. To softish stage so you can scrape the flesh out later.
- 3Remove from microwave. Using the pierce marks, cut the squash in half so you have two long 'boats.' Cool.
- 4Brown meat; add garlic, onion, s&p and peppers. Cook until tenderish. Add Italian spice mix and canned tomatoes. Simmer for a few minutes.
- 5If you are not using meat, sauté the veggies until tender, then continue adding spices and tomatoes.
- 6While it's simmering--spoon out the seedy portion of the squash and discard.
- 7Use a fork to scrape the spaghetti into strands. Put the strands into the sauce mix. Stir. Transfer back into boats, piling high! If you have too much, put the remainder into a greased dish.
- 8Place boats on an ovenproof pan with a lip so any juice will not drip onto oven.
- 9Sprinkle cheese of choice onto top. Bake, 350°F for about 45 minutes. Enjoy!
- 10You can of course use more or any veggies--add zucchini, mushrooms, etc. For a different flavor, add black olive slices, mix in 1/2 container of feta and sprinkle the remainder of feta on top. Or use parmesan on top.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
Serving Size: 1 (477 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 432.2
- Calories from Fat 250
- Total Fat 27.8 g
- Saturated Fat 12.8 g
- Cholesterol 106.7 mg
- Sodium 682.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 8.7 g
- Protein 30.0 g