Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
In ‘400 Best Sandwich Recipes’
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fajita seasoning mix
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 slices monterey jack pepper cheese
- 4 whole-grain buns, split and toasted
- tomatoes, slices
- red onion, slices
- avocado, slices
- Preheat greased barbecue grill to medium.
- In a large bowl, combine beef, fajita seasoning and pepper.
- Shape into 8 equal patties, about ¾ inch thick.
- Top 4 patties with cheese, tearing cheese slices as needed to fit patties.
- Cover with remaining patties, pressing edges to seal.
- Place hamburgers on grill, close lid and grill, turning once, for 8-10 minutes per side until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center registers 160 degrees.
- Serve in buns with desired toppings.