Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a recipe I've been making for years. The original recipe came from Taste of Home magazine in '98. It is awesome! *I add garlic and swiss to mine, though.
- 1 (1 lb) unsliced round loaf sourdough bread
- 1⁄2 lb monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 lb swiss cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup real butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green onion
- 1 -2 minced garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed
- Cut the bread lengthwise and crosswise without cutting through the bottom crust into about 1" squares.
- Insert cheese between cuts.
- Combine butter, onions, garlic and poppy seeds, drizzle over the bread and cheese evenly.
- Wrap in foil, place on cookie sheet.
- Bake in 350º oven for 15 minutes.
- Uncover and bake 10 minutes longer or til cheese has melted.
- Serve warm, pull apart to eat!
I have been meaning to try this for probably 4-5 years from my TOH cookbook, but I am too lazy to look thru all of them to find it! Luckily, I stumbled across this posting a few weeks ago. My husband and I liked it as written, but my kids didn't like the flavor of the swiss, the green onions or the "crunch" of the poppy seeds--WWWAAAHHHH! However it is a very adaptable recipe. Next time, I would also increase the garlic (and NOT share with my chldren!) Thanks for posting!
Simply outstanding!!! It was raved over at the cocktail party I took it to. I used 2 mini-rounds of sourdough (3/4 lb each), swiss cheese, garlic and onion gouda (OMG!), and the rest as posted. Easy, fun to make, traveled well in the foil and easy to pop in the oven for a quick warmup once there. So glad I found this and tried it, thanks for posting!
Yum! I've had this before, and always kept forgetting to ask for the recipe. We had this with Minnesota Wild Rice Soup #183736. Good stuff!!! I also, on a whim, used only Havarti cheese. DH and both DS loved it! Thank you so much for posting!