Recipe by KittyKitty
The entire crab, shell and all can be eaten. Soft shell crabs are just blue crabs who have shed their shell, and are waiting for a new one to grow. When you buy fresh crabmeat, use within a day of purchase. If it's tru;y fresh, crab will have little odor.
- 8 soft shelled crabs, fresh or 8 frozen soft shelled crabs, thawed
- 1⁄2 lb backfin crab meat or 1⁄2 lb lump crabmeat
- 1⁄4 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- all-purpose flour
- vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- To clean crabs, remove spongy substance (gills) the lies under the tapering points on either side of back shell. Place crabs on back, and remove the small piece at lower part of shell that terminates in a point (apron). Wash crabs thoroughly;drain well.
- Remove any cartilage or shell from crabmeat. Combine crabmeat and next 7 ingredients, mix well. Stuff crabmeat mixture evenly into cavity of each crab, dredge crabs in flour. Fry crabs in deep hot oil (375F) for 1 to 2 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Serve right away.