1/2 Photos of Stuffed Snapper With Orange and Lime
The Flying Chef's Note:
This recipe can be made with snapper fillets rolled up or baked whole snapper. I have made it both ways, I made it with fillets last night. The stuffing amount will work with a whole snapper. It will vary when using individual fillets, depending on the size of the fillet you buy. I made the stuffing for 4 fillets of about 300g each fillet, because sometimes all you can buy are huge fillets, I buy 2, stuff and roll them and then just chop in half to serve.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 (300 g) red snapper fillets or 1 (1 1/2 kg) whole red snapper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 120 g prawns, chopped
- 3/4 cup mushroom, chopped (I say 3/4 but I go just over 3/4 cup)
- 3 -4 green onions, sliced thinly
- 1 celery rib, diced
- 1 tablespoon tarragon, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon basil, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon thyme, finely chopped
- 3 slices fresh pineapple, core removed, diced (If baking whole fish use a couple of slices xtra to place on top for presentation.)
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1 orange, zest of
- 1/2 orange, juice of
- 1 teaspoon cornflour
- 180 ml whipping cream
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sherry wine
- 1/2 teaspoon instant fish stock granules
- 1Melt the butter in a pan and saute mushrooms and celery a few minutes until softened. Add prawns, onions, herbs and pineapple saute a couple of minutes more.
- 2If baking whole fish cut a slit lengthwise down the centre of the fish starting and ending 2 inches from each end, be careful not to cut all the way through, creating a pocket. Stuff sauteed mixture into snapper, reserving 11/2 Tablespoons. Pour lime and orange juices over fish, bake in preheated oven approximately 30 Min's at 180c, or until fish is cooked through.
- 3If using fillets, reserve 11/2 tablespoons of stuffing, divide remainder of mixture equally, down the centre of each fillet, top to bottom , Roll each fillet up and secure with tooth picks. Pour lime and orange juices over fish, bake in preheated oven approximately 30 Min's at 180c, or until fish is cooked through.
- 4Mince the reserved stuffing and set to one side.
- 5Mix cornflour with a little water. Heat sherry, pepper and zest in a pan add a very small amount of cornflour to slightly thicken, add cream, stock and minced stuffing.
- 6When snapper is cooked, remove fish and keep warm. Pour pan liquid into sauce add cornflour and stir until sauce boils and thickens.
- 7To serve: If whole snapper, place fish on serving plate top with a couple of slices of pineapple drizzle a little sauce over and keep the rest in gravy jug.
- 8If individual fillets place on plate and pour sauce over I served mine with wild rice and buttery carrots and sugar snap peas.
Browse Our Top Saltwater Fish Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Saltwater Fish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Stuffed Snapper With Orange and Lime
Serving Size: 1 (529 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 680.4
- Calories from Fat 246
- Total Fat 27.3 g
- Saturated Fat 14.6 g
- Cholesterol 252.7 mg
- Sodium 421.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 8.2 g
- Protein 85.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
oranges, zest of
fish stock granules