1 hr 35 mins
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 16 ounces ricotta cheese (whole-milk or part-skim)
- 1 1/2 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh mint leaves
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 garlic clove (minced to a paste or pressed through a garlic press)
- ground black pepper
- 1Adjust an oven rack to the middle position; preheat to 400°.
- 2Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil in a Dutch oven over high heat.
- 3Stir in 1 tablespoon salt and the shells; cook, stirring occasionally, until almost al dente.
- 4Drain the shells and spread out on a rimmed baking sheet to cool.
- 5Using a dinner fork, pry apart any shells that have clung together, discarding any that are badly torn (you should have 30-33 good shells).
- 6Filling-mix the ricotta, mozzarella, peas, mint, egg, garlic, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper together in a bowl.
- 7Spoon a tablespoon of the filling into each shell and arrange them, seam-side down, into a 13 x 9 inch baking dish.
- 8Cover the filled shells loosely with damp paper towels and set aside.
- 9Sauce-puree the canned tomatoes with their juice in a food processor fitted with the steel blade until smooth, about 1 minute.
- 10Heat the oil and garlic in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until fragrant but not browned, about 2 minutes.
- 11Add the pureed tomatoes, red pepper flakes, vodka, cream, and sugar; bring to a simmer and cook, stirring often, until the flavors have melded and the sauce has thickened, 10-12 minutes.
- 12Off the heat, season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 13Discard the paper towels covering the filled shells and pour the tomato sauce over the top.
- 14Tilt the dish to distribute the sauce evenly and make sure each shell is covered with sauce (spoon over each shell if necessary).
- 15Cover with foil and bake until the sauce is bubbling around the edges and the ricotta filling is hot, about 30 minutes.
- 16Cool for 5 minutes.
- 17Sprinkle with basil and Parmesan before serving.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Stuffed Shells With Vodka-Tomato Cream Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (283 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 477.9
- Calories from Fat 212
- Total Fat 23.6 g
- Saturated Fat 13.3 g
- Cholesterol 99.8 mg
- Sodium 156.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 5.1 g
- Protein 17.3 g