Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Half the pasta shells are filled with a ricotta filling, the other half are filled with spinach and meat in a lovely tomato rosé sauce (marinara sauce with cream added). Delicious! Slightly adapted from Anna's Table.
- 1⁄2 lb jumbo pasta shells, cooked (about 36 shells)
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
Meat and Spinach Filling
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup carrot, finely chopped (1/2 of a carrot)
- 1⁄4 cup celery, finely chopped (1/2 stalk of celery)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 4 tablespoons onions, finely chopped (1/2 of a small onion)
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- salt and pepper
Rose Tomato Sauce
- 2 -3 cups marinara spaghetti sauce
- 1⁄4 cup cream
- 2 -3 tablespoons red wine (optional)
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese, for topping
- Make the Ricotta Filling: In a bowl, whisk together the cheeses and the egg until well combined. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Saute the onion, garlic, carrot, celery and parsley for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the ground beef and cook, stirring occasionally, until meat is cooked through (about 7-8 minutes).
- Add the chopped spinach to meat and cook for an additional minute (you can reserve about 4 tablespoons of spinach for the topping).
- Remove from heat and add the shredded cheese; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Make the Rosé Sauce: Stir together the marinara sauce with the cream and red wine.
- Spread about 1 cup of the rosé sauce evenly in the bottom of a 13x9-inch baking dish.
- Use a teaspoon to fill half the pasta shells with the Ricotta Filling; fill the remaining pasta shells with the Meat and Spinach Filling.
- Arrange filled shells in a single layer in the prepared baking dish.
- Pour rosé sauce over the pasta shells and top with grated Parmesan cheese (and the reserved spinach, if desired).
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake in a 350 degree F oven for 35 minutes.