Recipe by annconnolly
Zesty south of the border pasta. This recipe can be converted to a casserole by omitting the large pasta shells and replacing with 1 12 oz. bag of medium-small pasta shells. Just mix meat mixture with cooked small shells. Follow the rest of the recipe. I serve it with sour cream.
- 1 lb ground beef round
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) canchopped green chilies
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 (12 ounce) jar picante sauce (mild or medium)
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (10 ounce) can French fried onion rings, divided
- 18 large pasta shells (stuffable kind)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook pasta shells according to directions. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a bowl, combine tomato sauce, picante sauce and one cup of water. Set aside.
- Brown meat with onions, salt and pepper. Add can of green chilies, 1/2 cup of cheese, half a can of onion rings and 1/2 cup of prepared sauce.
- Stuff shell with meat mixture. Pour remaining sauce over shells. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle remaining onion rings and cheese over the top. Bake for 5 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly.