Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
I combined several recipes and developed this crowd pleaser. Can serve a crowd, or serve some now and freeze some for later.
- 3 lbs Italian sausage (approximately 8 links hot and 8 links mild)
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons dried parsley
- 3 eggs
- 16 ounces low fat cottage cheese
- 16 ounces low-fat ricotta cheese
- 8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3⁄4 cup grated romano cheese or 3⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 (16 ounce) package jumbo pasta shells
- 1 (26 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
- 8 ounces half-and-half cream, optional
- Cook pasta shells in boiling salted water for 12 minutes, drain and cover with cool water.
- Remove sausage from casings.
- Saute sausage until browned, crumbling well, drain fat.
- Add onion and garlic to sausage, saute until soft.
- Cool and reserve.
- Combine parsely, eggs, cottage cheese, ricotta, mozzarella and Romano cheese in a large mixing bowl.
- Stir in cooled sausage mixture.
- Drain pasta shells.
- Fill shells generously with sausage and cheese.
- Lay filled shells in greased baking pans.
- Combine spaghetti sauce and cream, if using.
- Spoon sauce over shells.
- Can be frozen at this point.
- Bake covered, for 30 minutes at 350.
- Uncover and bake additional 15 minutes.
- If baking from frozen add 15 minutes to first baking time.