Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
My husband used to buy this from a local Yemenite restaurant until one day he asked me to give it a try and--bullseye! Saucy, savory and it can be re-heated.
- 6 chicken breasts, flattened
- 1 egg, beaten (for breading)
- 1 cup white flour (for breading)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- oil (for frying)
- 1⁄2 kg ground beef
- 3 tablespoons dried cilantro (spice)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 1 head garlic, minced
- 1 -2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon white flour
- 2 tablespoons chicken soup powder
- For the stuffing:.
- Sauté the diced onion.
- When onion is translucent, add the ground meat and mix so the meat doesn't clump.
- When meat is almost cooked, add the minced garlic and sauté until everything is well mixed and cooked.
- Add the cumin and cilantro 1/2 tsp salt and mix well, then remove from burner.
- For breading mixture:.
- Mix 1 c flour, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper in plate.
- To assemble:.
- Lay a breast flat on a plate and pile as much of the stuffing as you can in the center of it.
- Fold up the ends and fasten with toothpicks.
- Roll in the beaten egg and then in the breading mixture.
- Deep fry in oil on all sides until browned.
- Transfer to a plate and wait until it cools slightly before removing the toothpicks.
- For the sauce:.
- Once all of the schnitzels have been stuffed, there should still be about 1/3-1/2 of the stuffing left over. Put this in a small sauce pan with 1 c water and add the chicken soup mix.
- Bring to a boil, then lower flame and add the 1 Tbsp flour.
- Stir until the sauce has thickened--this should happen pretty quickly.
- Pour the sauce over the toothpick-less schnitzels and serve.
This recipe is delicious! My husband liked it so much, he just couldn't have enough. The beef stuff has the exact amount of spices, and the sauce moist the chicken breasts. I cannot find anything wrong about this recipe, try it and you'll see how great it is. This is the best Chicken Kiev I ever had. Thanks for sharing.