Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 45 mins
Cook 58 mins
One of our favourite ways to cook salmon, stays very moist and delicious. Tonight we had glazed baby carrots and whole green beans sprinkled with caraway seeds with the salmon. The stuffing can be used in other recipes and even as a side dish.
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 cup chopped shallots or 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄2 cup chopped dried apricot
- 1⁄4 cup chopped walnuts
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 salmon
- 1 lemon, cut in half
- salt and pepper
- Combine rice and sour cream.
- Set aside.
- In a frypan melt butter.
- Add shallots and caramelize.
- Add wine and deglaze pan.
- Add apricots, let them plump up a bit and absorb some wine.
- Add walnuts allspice, cumin and dry mustard.
- Bring to bubble, simmer 2 or 3 minutes, while stirring.
- Add rice and sour cream mixture.
- Simmer just until rice and sour cream are heated.
- Stir well and set aside.
- I have made this stuffing with mushrooms instead of apricots (because I didn't have apricots around).
- It was almost as good.
- ---------Roast Salmon----------.
- Wash and scale salmon, remove fins.
- Dry thoroughly with paper towel.
- cut lemon in half and sprinkle juice of half lemon on inside of cavity.
- Sprinkle cavity with salt and pepper.
- Place the salmon on a large piece of heavy duty aluminum foil, set on a cookie sheet.
- Fill the cavity with stuffing.
- Any stuffing left over can be circled around the outside of the salmon.
- Sprinkle the top of the salmon with the juice of the 2nd half of lemon.
- Dot the top with butter.
- Wrap the aluminum foil tightly as if to freeze.
- Bake in 450°F oven for 45 minutes for a 5 or 6 lb roast or about 10 minutes per inch of thickness.
- If you would rather, omit lemon and replace with 1/2 cup of dry white wine.
- Drizzle 1/4 cup wine on cavity before stuffing and the other 1/4 cup over the stuffed fish- Dot with butter and wrap.
Good and quick to put together. Next time I'll make it without the walnuts (personal taste). Also, If I was making for 4-6 servings I may double the batch.