Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Yum! Red bell peppers stuffed with polenta, chiles, and cheese! Add in a little cream and you have a dish you will love! Adapted from Southern Living Magazine, July 2004
For the peppers
- 3 medium red bell peppers
- 3⁄4 cup polenta (or yellow cornmeal)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1 (7 ounce) canwhole green anaheim chilies, drained and chopped (or buy chopped chilies)
- 2⁄3 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- fresh cilantro
- Cut the bell peppers in half and remove and discard the seeds and membranes. Place the bell pepper cups in a lightly greased 13" x 9" baking dish.
- Whisk together the polenta and the next 5 ingredients in a large saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil. Cook, whisking constantly, for 5-7 minutes or until the polenta thickens. Stir in the cream and the next 4 ingredients, blending well.
- Spoon the mixture into pepper cups and bake at 400F for 25-30 minutes or until the peppers are tender. Garnish with fresh cilantro sprigs, if desired.
Served with steak and a salad. Easy to make an delicious!
This was great Sharon! I made it to go with the steak I was making for the menfolk. I loved it. So creamy!
WOW! This is sooo good! I used light cream, and only one cup of monterey jack cheese, and 1 can of chopped green chilies. I used the cornmeal (what I had on hand). By vote of my vegetarian husband, this replaces my previous stuffed pepper recipe. Thanks!!