1 hr 5 mins
Connie K's Note:
From 'Best of German Cooking'. Posted in response to a requst. Times are estimates.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 small red cabbage
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1/2 lb ground pork
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons cooking fat or 3 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 1/4 lb mushroom, if desired
- 3 -4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups meat stock
- 1/3 cup half-and-half
- 1Clean cabbage, removing the main stem; Plunge cabbage in a large saucepan of boiling salted water.
- 2After 4 or 5 minutes, carefully remove outer leaves; Repeat 2 or 3 times or until all leaves have been removed.
- 3Melt margarine in a small skillet; add half the onion; saute until transparent.
- 4In a medium bowl, combine breadcrumbs, ground meats, sauteed onion, egg, salt and pepper.
- 5Divide stuffing into 8 portions.
- 6Taking 2 cabbage leaves at a time, roll or pound gently to soften ribs; Place leaves one inside the other.
- 7Spread one portion of stuffing over surface, stopping well short of edges.
- 8Roll leaves up neatly into a little package; Repeat with remaining leaves and stuffing.
- 9Heat fat or shortening in a large skillet; Add cabbage rolls; saute gently.
- 10Add remaining onion and mushrooms, if desired.
- 11Dissolve flour in stock; add to skillet.
- 12Cover and cook gently over low heat 40 minutes, stirring occasionally; Season with salt and pepper; Add half and half; stir to blend.
- 13Place on a warm serving dish; spoon sauce over cabbage rolls.
- 14Serve with creamed potatoes and a salad.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Stuffed Red Cabbage Leaves (rotkohlrouladen)
Serving Size: 1 (205 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 293.0
- Calories from Fat 141
- Total Fat 15.6 g
- Saturated Fat 5.4 g
- Cholesterol 76.1 mg
- Sodium 205.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 5.0 g
- Protein 17.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: