Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
yum. i usually replace the beef with vegatarian veggie crumbles
Make and share this Stuffed Red Bell Peppers recipe from Food.com.
- 6 red bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 6 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2⁄3 cup cooked white rice, cooled
- 1 tablespoon sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 1⁄2 cups canned tomato sauce
- 1 1⁄4 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 large egg
- Cut off top 1/2 inch of peppers and reserve. Scoop seeds from cavities. Discard stems and chop pepper tops. Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, parsley, garlic, and chopped pepper pieces. Sauté until onions soften, about 8 minutes. Transfer to large bowl. Mix in rice, paprika, salt, pepper, and allspice. Cool 10 minutes. Mix in 1/2 cup tomato sauce, then beef and egg.
- Fill pepper cavities with beef mixture. Stand filled peppers in single layer in heavy large pot. Pour remaining 2 cups tomato sauce around peppers. Bring sauce to boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover pot and simmer 20 minutes. Spoon some sauce over each pepper. Cover; cook until peppers are tender and filling is cooked through and firm, about 20 minutes. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cool, cover and chill. Rewarm covered over low heat.).