Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a VERY EASY recipe. You can purchase quail in a specialty gourmet store, such as Wild Oats, etc.. I serve 2 quails per person, because they are so small. I usually serve either over a bed of rice or over Romaine lettuce.
- 4 quail
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons cooked rice
- 4 dried apricots (chopped)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts (crushed)
- melted unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons white wine
- 1⁄2 orange, juice of
- Wipe the quails with paper towel& season inside& out with salt& pepper.
- Combine the cooked rice, chopped apricots, ginger, grated orange rind& pine nuts& moisten with a little melted butter.
- Stuff the quails with the mixture& place them into a roasting pan.
- Brush the quails with melted butter.
- Roast in a preheated oven at 450 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to 300 degrees& roast for an additional 15 minutes, basting frequently with a mixture of wine (which should be reduced by 1/3), the orange juice& 4 tablespoons of melted butter.
- Remove the quails to a serving dish& keep warm.
- Taste the liquid in the roasting pan& adjust the seasonings, then pour the liquid over the quails.
- Pour warmed cognac over the quails& carefully ignite.
- Serve at once.