Recipe by Sharon123
Great for a holiday treat! This is made with miniature pumpkins, but could also be made with one larger pumpkin. Enjoy!
Top Review by HeatherFeather
Very beautiful presentation and quite tasty. I needed an extra 15 minutes or so until my pumpkin flesh was tender enough. This needed much for seasoning than the veggie broth provided - next time I will add salt and perhaps more of all of the herbs, maybe even a bit of garlic and a touch of smart balance. I also would saute the onions & carrots first because they were still a bit crisp in spots. I would also recommend toasting the bread cubes first so they retain their texture. But overall, an impressive side dish that is quite healthy.
- 4 miniature pumpkin (about 4 to 5 inches in diameter)
- 2 cups cubed rye bread or 2 cups whole wheat bread
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced carrot
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable stock
- 1⁄2 cup diced celery
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon virgin olive oil or 1 teaspoon apple juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 325*.
- Cut off pumpkin tops and set aside.
- Scoop out the seeds and membranes.
- Place the pumpkin shells on a large baking sheet.
- In a medium bowl, combine the remaining ingredients.
- Pack the stuffing tightly into the pumpkin cavities.
- Cover with the reserved tops.
- Bake until the pumpkin shells are tender, about 45 minutes.
- Serve hot.