Serve this easy, beautiful, and delicious side dish with some cranberry chutney, a roast (or stew), and a nice warm cup of apple cider for a wonderful seasonal menu. Add 1/4 cup of raisins, or chopped dried fruit bits (such as apples, cranberries or apricots) to the stuffing if you like. A special thanks to Chef #599450 for helping us revise this recipe. The amounts, etc have been edited since her review. :)
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 2 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 8 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted (1/2 stick)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, more if desired
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup raisins (or any dried fruit bits) (optional)
Other ingredients needed
- 1 medium whole pumpkin, approximately 8 inches in diameter
- 6 ounces cranberry chutney
- Preheat oven to 375°F In a bowl, mix all the filling ingredients well and set aside. Thoroughly clean the outside of the pumpkin.
- Cut off top of pumpkin to make a lid. Remove the seeds and scrape out any stringy pulp. (Keep pumpkin meat intact to the pumpkin).
- Fill the pumpkin with the stuffing, leaving a little space at top. Cover with pumpkin top, and bake in a lightly greased shallow pan for about 2-3 hours or until the stuffing sets.
- Cut the pumpkin into six sections and top with cranberry chutney.