1/1 Photo of Stuffed Pumpkin
2 hrs 15 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Recipe Baroness's Note:
This is an American Indian recipe, that I have been making for several years. its earthy goodness makes its perfect at Thanksgiving and Halloween feast. but know that you can make it for any meal. The original calls for venison but if you cant get any, Ground sirloin is a great substitute. Also you can add all kind of goodies if you want like golden raisins or chopped up nuts,or apples. Try it every way its worth the time involved and ooh so good!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 16 ounces wild rice or 16 ounces uncle ben's long grain and wild rice blend
- 1 medium sugar pumpkin, has to be small enough to place in your oven
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons bacon grease
- 1 lb ground venison or 1 lb beef sirloin
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 lb sage sausage
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1In a saucepan, bring 2 1/2 cups water to a boil.
- 2Add "Uncle Ben's" and stir.
- 3Reduce heat, cover and simmer 25 minutes, or until tender.
- 4Preheat oven to 350F (175 degrees C).
- 5Remove the top of the pumpkin and scoop out pulp and seeds.
- 6Prick the pumpkin interior with a fork and rub with 1 teaspoon salt and dry mustard.(I use Extra Dry Mustard Because I like the added Flavor).
- 7Heat bacon grease in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- 8Stir in the ground venison, sirloin and Sage Sausage and onion.
- 9Slowly cook and stir until evenly brown.
- 10Remove from heat.
- 11Mix in the wild rice, remaining salt, eggs, and pepper.
- 12Stuff the pumpkin with the meat mixture.
- 13Place pumpkin in a shallow baking pan with 1/2 inch water.
- 14Bake the pumpkin in the preheated oven 1 1/2 hours, or until tender.
- 15Add more water to the pan as necessary to avoid sticking.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Stuffed Pumpkin
Serving Size: 1 (206 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 739.4
- Calories from Fat 177
- Total Fat 19.7 g
- Saturated Fat 7.7 g
- Cholesterol 255.5 mg
- Sodium 1319.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 94.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.0 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 47.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: