Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
A healthy, flavorful side, or lunch dish. Can be vegetarian. Great with grilled chicken or beef. I made the directions quite detailed, but this is really easy to make. Leftovers freeze and reheat well.
- 2 medium potatoes
- 1 medium bunch kale or 1 medium spinach
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 medium onion, chopped
- 2 -3 tablespoons milk
- salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 375°F Scrub potatoes, and place in hot oven. Bake until done - about 45 minutes.
- Wash kale, remove ribs, and chop coarsely. Place in covered, microwave-safe dish, and microwave until wilted, and crisp-tender. About 3 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Heat oil in medium skillet. Saute onions and bell pepper until tender. Place in medium bowl.
- Squeeze as much moisture from the kale as you can with your hands. Chop and add to bowl with onions and peppers, stir to combine.
- When potatoes are done, remove from oven. Carefully cut in half, and scoop the insides into the bowl with the vegetables, leaving a 1/4" shell. Place shells on a baking sheet, cut side up.
- Mash the potatoes and vegetables together. Add milk to moisten mixture - it should not be creamy like mashed potatoes, but retain some texture.
- Spoon the mixture back into the shells. Sprinkle each with a tablespoon of cheese. Return to oven until heated through, and the cheese is melted, about 10 minutes. Serve.
A healthy, flavorful stuffed potato... what more can you ask for from a side dish? I enjoyed this a lot for it's simplicity and tastiness. I mixed in some grated Parmesan into the stuffing mixture, and also topped it with shredded Parmesan. Thanks for sharing.