Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
Puerto Rican Stuffed Potato Balls are great as a snack or appetizer or make them large for nice side dish. Another great recipe from About Latin Caribbean Food.
- Mix together the hot mashed potatoes, eggs, butter and 2 teaspoons of cornstarch. Set aside and let cool.
- In a frying pan, heat the olive oil. Add the ground beef and cook until no longer pink. Stir to break up the meat.
- Add the sofrito, tomato sauce, oregano and salt to the cooked ground beef. Mix thoroughly. Turn the heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Spread a spoonful of the potato dough mix in the palm of your hand. Make an indentation in the middle and stuff it with the meat mixture.
- Cover the filling with more potato dough. Shape into a ball. Dust the ball lightly with the remaining cornstarch.
- Repeat until mix is used up.
- Deep fry the stuffed potato balls until golden (about 2 minutes).
- Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Servings: Makes 12 to 16 potato balls.
The flavors in this dish are really great. I'd never used sofrito before and it gave the meat filling such a tangy flavor. There was some of the beef filling left over, and everyone wanted me to give it to them! The only problem I had was with the potatoes -- they were a little sticky, so it was hard to wrap them around the filling. However, I put a light dusting of cornstarch on my hands and the meatballs were easier to form that way. I didn't have to dust them with cornstarch before frying as they had plenty from when I formed them. Because they are deep-fried the crust around the potatoes was really crunchy and yummy, and contrasted nicely with the soft, creamy potatoes. This was a real taste treat, and I'm glad I tried it. Thanks for posting!
What a mess! It all started out good until it came to putting it all together. The meat mixture was good and I'm trying to think of a different use for it since I have a lot of sauce left, making the ball was a sticky mess. It would not hold together. I put more cornstarch still a mess. I fried them they fell apart. I ended up with two good balls. don't think I will try it again. I was looking forward to it.
My hubby and I really enjoyed this recipe. They tasted so much better than the ones we usually buy from the grocery store.