Recipe by kniven11
This is another recipe I received from a family reunion. It's wonderful as an appetizer or for football games! Use spicy Italian sausage for a little kick :o) This recipe is very easy to make ahead of time and refrigerate. Enjoy!
Top Review by DailyInspiration
We absolutely love stuffed mushrooms and this recipe did not disappoint. These mushrooms are a great appetizer for a party or get-together. You can make them ahead and then just bake them off when you are ready. Made for Spring PAC, March, 2013.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground Italian sausage (sweet or spicy)
- 2⁄3 cup sweet onion, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced (4-6 cloves, to taste)
- 1 1⁄2 cups parmesan cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 1⁄4 cups extra virgin olive oil
- 48 small baby portabella mushrooms
- grated mozzarella cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat oven to 420 degrees.
- In a large skillet, cook Italian sausage, onions, and garlic.
- Cook on med/high heat until Italian sausage is no longer pink, drain grease.
- In the meantime, combine Parmesan cheese, Italian bread crumbs, and olive oil in a separate bowl.
- Add meat mixture to Parmesan cheese/bread crumb mixture and stir until combined, set aside.
- With a damp rag, wipe dirt from mushrooms and de-stem (rinsing mushrooms makes them rubbery).
- Over-stuff each mushroom cap with mixture and place in a lightly greased, 9 x 12 baking dish.
- Cover each stuffed mushroom with grated mozzarella cheese.
- Cover baking dish with foil and place in oven.
- Cook at 420 degrees for about 20 minutes or until mushrooms are tender and juicy (you may need to allow extra time for larger mushrooms).
- Remove foil and let top of mushrooms lightly brown (about 4-5 minutes).
- Remove from oven and serve.