Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is another recipe I received from a family reunion. It's wonderful as an appetizer or for football games! Use spicy Italian sausage for a little kick :o) This recipe is very easy to make ahead of time and refrigerate. Enjoy!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground Italian sausage (sweet or spicy)
- 2⁄3 cup sweet onion, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced (4-6 cloves, to taste)
- 1 1⁄2 cups parmesan cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 1⁄4 cups extra virgin olive oil
- 48 small baby portabella mushrooms
- grated mozzarella cheese
- Pre-heat oven to 420 degrees.
- In a large skillet, cook Italian sausage, onions, and garlic.
- Cook on med/high heat until Italian sausage is no longer pink, drain grease.
- In the meantime, combine Parmesan cheese, Italian bread crumbs, and olive oil in a separate bowl.
- Add meat mixture to Parmesan cheese/bread crumb mixture and stir until combined, set aside.
- With a damp rag, wipe dirt from mushrooms and de-stem (rinsing mushrooms makes them rubbery).
- Over-stuff each mushroom cap with mixture and place in a lightly greased, 9 x 12 baking dish.
- Cover each stuffed mushroom with grated mozzarella cheese.
- Cover baking dish with foil and place in oven.
- Cook at 420 degrees for about 20 minutes or until mushrooms are tender and juicy (you may need to allow extra time for larger mushrooms).
- Remove foil and let top of mushrooms lightly brown (about 4-5 minutes).
- Remove from oven and serve.
We absolutely love stuffed mushrooms and this recipe did not disappoint. These mushrooms are a great appetizer for a party or get-together. You can make them ahead and then just bake them off when you are ready. Made for Spring PAC, March, 2013.