My husband and I are crazy about stuffed portabello mushrooms and have tried many recipes from Zaar. Last night, we came up with a version that does not cover up the taste of the mushroom. We love this with our grilled steak. Grilling the mushrooms for a short period of time really made a difference for us in this recipe. Hope you enjoy. Prep time is estimated.
- 4 large portabella mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 -2 garlic clove, chopped
- 4 ounces of softened cream cheese
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled (I cooked mine in the microwave for about 3-4 minutes)
- 1⁄2 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Preheat and grease outside grill to medium heat.
- Wash and remove stem from mushrooms.
- Melt one tablespoone of butter and brush on the smooth side of the mushrooms and let sit for 1-2 minutes.
- Mix the cream cheese and bacon together.
- Saute garlic in 1 tablespoon of butter over medium heat until tender, about 2 minutes.
- Add to cream cheese and bacon mixture.
- Grill mushrooms over medium heat, stem side down for 5 minutes; turn and grill for another 3-4 minutes.
- Remove and let cool for about 3-5 minutes.
- Brush any remaining butter on the rough side of the mushroom (If you don't have any left, don't worry about it).
- Divide the cream cheese mixture evenly on the mushrooms and spread with your fingers.
- Top with the Mozzarella cheese and Parmasan cheese.
- Sprinkle with Italian Bread Crumbs.
- Bake in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the bread crumbs are slightly browned.
they were delicious!! I used baby portabellas, so if anyone is wondering, they come out very good.makes about 16 baby portabellas.
Absolutely delicious! I subbed a couple tablespoons of Baco's to make them vegetarian. I will be making this again in the very near future :)
These were absolutely delicious!!! I folled the recipe exactly.....except --- I had 2 HUGE portobellos, used my own italian breadcrumbs, and I did NOT grill them before. I agree that next time I make them, I'll try grilling first. Even without, they were the BEST! Thanks Nimz for the great recipe :-)