Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 45 mins
Cook 15 mins
This has a wonderful Italian flavor and was a favorite with my tasting victims. I had such fun creating this recipe, and hope everyone enjoys eating it as much as I did creating it. These can be prepared ahead of time and popped into the over before eating. The times are really a guess because I was creating three different recipes at one time. The chicken can be poached if you prefer (place garlic and chicken in water and keep water at just below boiling point)
- 2 large portabella mushrooms (stems and gills removed)
- 1 (8 ounce) chicken breasts
- 6 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄2 cup mashed potatoes
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons celery, chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons scallions, sliced thin starting with the white part, slice the green part for garnish
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons white wine (I used chardonnay)
- sliced green from scallion (to garnish)
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Wipe outside of mushrooms with damp cloth.
- Rinse chicken with cold water and pat dry.
- Use microwave steamer or stovetop steamer.
- Put 6 cloves garlic in water.
- Place chicken in steamer portion.
- Sprinkle with garlic salt.
- Cook until done (about 5 minutes on high till juice is clear).
- When done and cooled a little put thru food processor or chopper until finely chopped.
- Set aside.
- Wash, cut in half and boil potatoes till fork tender.
- Peel potatoes when done.
- Mash thoroughly.
- Add milk and butter to potatoes.
- Whip till smooth.
- Set aside.
- Heat saute pan and add butter and EVOO.
- Saute scallions and celery for 2 minutes.
- Add wine and reduce for 2 minute.
- Stir in chicken.
- Stir in basil, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Mix in potatoes.
- Divide mixture between mushrooms.
- Rub olive oil on outside of mushrooms.
- Place on baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 325.
- Sprinkle with scallions and serve immediately.
Oh, I love mushrooms; did you know that if you have a meal of mushrooms it will give you enough iron and protein, that you do not need the steak??? Someone told me that long time ago, and who am I to doubt it? So I was delighted to be able to take in my daily serving of protein and iron with Stuffed Portabello Italian #116311. I love the combination of flavours. In the ingredients list, I assumed that little part sentence at the end referred only to scallions, and not the chardonnay; so I ignored it and continued to prepare the mushroom meal I deserve. Lots of instruction... easy to understand and put together your "smashed", "mashed"and chopped ingredients. It created a wonderful aroma during the preparation process, the cooking stage... and lots of oohs and aahs at the eating stage. I am in the habbit of serving no fewer than 4 persons at my table... so I did double your recipe. It was worth the effort. My guests praised the mushroom preparation, and I praise your cleverness. Thank you.