2 hrs 30 mins
T. Woolfe's Note:
BillG and I were kicking around stuffed porkchop recipies on chat a while back. He ended up with a great one baked with/in a cheeze sauce which he had better post. My variation went the crusty route. I was thinking a stuffed pork roast wellington sort of thing. Anyhow, here tis.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs pork loin, big end butterflyed
- 6 ounces pork sausage, crumbled
- 1 medium yellow onion, fine dice
- 1 cup herbed croutons (stuffing mix is too fine)
- 1/4 cup pecan pieces (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- stock, to moisten
- 1 pinch salt
Crust and coating
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs or 1 cup other breadcrumbs (Panko is best)
- 1/4 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese (sharp would be good)
- salt and pepper, to suit
- enough egg, beaten with
- 1 little water, to paint the loin and slightly moisten coating
- spicey chunkey applesauce or apple pie filling (I cheat)
- 1In a deep skillet, Brown the sausage.
- 2While browning add the onions.
- 3Add the pecans to lightly brown.
- 4Add the Croutons and sage.
- 5Add enough stock to moisten, Toss do not mush up.
- 6Set aside to cool.
- 7Butterfly the Loin to approximately an inch thickness.
- 8Spread with the cooled stuffing.
- 9Leave the top and bottom edges clear to roll.
- 10Roll the loin like a jelly roll grain running side to side.
- 11Tie gently with minimum number of ties leaving tie ends extended.
- 12Mix Panko, Cheese,& seasoning with enough of the beaten egg to make it clump up.
- 13A fork is easiest way, you'll have to use your own judgment here to make it packable.
- 14Lightly paint the tied loin with the remainder of the egg.
- 15Pack the coating all over the loin leaving the ties where they can be found.
- 16Place on a rack in a shallow baking pan.
- 17Insert thermometer in center.
- 18Crank your oven to as high as it will go, let it get hot.
- 19Roast 12 minutes.
- 20Turn the oven down to 260 or so and roast to an internal temp of 140 degrees F.
- 21Mine took a bit over 2 hours.
- 22If you're not comfortable with not-well-done Pork, take it to 160 degrees F max.
- 23But remember, you get about a 5 degree rise from the residual heat.
- 24Let it rest a bit, slice, and top with a some of that apple.
- 25Thanks for the idea Bill.
Browse Our Top Pork Loins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Stuffed Pork Loin A'la BillG
Serving Size: 1 (176 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 534.1
- Calories from Fat 292
- Total Fat 32.4 g
- Saturated Fat 11.4 g
- Cholesterol 116.5 mg
- Sodium 513.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 38.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: