Recipe by Dee514
This is an easy way to make pork chops special. Sometimes I substitute chopped pecans for the cheddar cheese in the stuffing mix. Although the recipe calls for orange juice to moisten the stuffing mix and baste the chops with, I find apple cider or dry white wine work equally well.
Top Review by nightship538
This is a delicious way to prepare stuffed pork chops. I didn't have on hand some of the ingredients, so I took liberties with substitutions and the result was truly wonderful. I skipped the apples and raisins, substituted hazelnuts for the cheese, used toasted whole grain bread, and used extra-virgin olive oil in place of butter. The stuffing came out very moist, rich, and was a nice accompaniment to the pork. I will definitely make this again
- 6 pork chops (center cut rib, 1 1/2 to 2 inches thick, about 4 pounds)
- 1 1⁄2 cups toasted bread, cubes (or cubed, dry stuffing mix)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped unpeeled tart apple
- 2 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (about 1/2 cup when shredded)
- 2 tablespoons light golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons orange juice (or apple cider or dry white wine)
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice or 1⁄4 cup apple cider or 1⁄4 cup white wine, for basting (of your choice)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- sometimes I omit the cheese and add 1/3 to 1/2 cup chopped pecans.
- Cut a 2 to 3 inch pocket into each chop (to the bone), along the fat side.
- Salt and pepper the pocket of each chop.
- In a bowl, toss together bread cubes, apple, cheese (or pecans) and raisins.
- Combine melted butter, orange juice, salt and cinnamon, stir to mix well.
- Pour liquid mixture over bread mixture, tossing gently to moisten stuffing.
- Lightly stuff the pockets in the chops.
- If necessary secure stuffed pockets with a toothpick, to keep the pocket partially closed.
- Brush both sides of chops with liquid (orange juice, apple cider or white wine).
- Place chops in a shallow baking/roasting pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 1 1/4 hours, brush chops with liquid twice during baking.
- Cover pan lightly with foil, and bake for 15 minutes longer.