Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 2 medium apples, coarsely chopped
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg, Ground
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, Ground
- 3⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin, Ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
PORK CHOP INGREDIENTS
- 6 pork chops (1-3/4" thick)
- 3⁄4 lb pork, Ground
- 1 cup onion, Chopped
- 1 cup green bell pepper, Chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic, Minced
- 1 can diced green chilis
- 1 cup pork or 1 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, Finely chopped
- In a food processor or blender, process the apples, 4 Tablespoons of the butter, the sugar, vanilla and nutmeg until smooth, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Set aside.
- In a small bowl thoroughly combine the seasoning mix ingredients; set aside.
- Prepare the pork chops by cutting a large pocket (to the bone) into the larger side of each chop to hold the stuffing.
- In a large skillet, brown the ground pork in the remaining 3 Tbsp.
- butter over high heat, about 3 minutes.
- Add the onions, bell peppers, garlic, and 2 Tbsp. of the seasoning mix, stirring well; cook about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally and scraping pan bottom well.
- Stir in the green chilies and their juice and continue cooking until mixture is well browned, about 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally and scraping the pan bottom as needed.
- Add the stock and cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the bread crumbs and cook about 2 minutes more, stirring constantly and scraping pan bottom as needed.
- Remove from heat.
- Sprinkle the remaining seasoning mix evenly on both sides of the chops and inside the pockets, pressing it in by hand.
- Prop chops with pocket side up in an ungreased 13x9-inch baking pan.
- Spoon about 1/4 cup stuffing into each pocket; reserve the remaining stuffing.
- Bake chops with pocket up at 400F until the meat is done, about 1 hour 10 minutes.
- Place the remaining stuffing in a small pan in the oven for the last 20 minutes to reheat.
- Serve immediately with each chop arranged on top of a portion of the remaining stuffing.
It was A great recipe but I did not use the apples & I added chopped bacon saute mushrooms.
Unclear as to what to do with the apples ect.
This is one of our all time favorite recipes. My mother got the recipe from a Paul Prudhomme cookbook several years ago. I hate that this recipe only has 3 stars because it really is very good and suffers from a technical difficulty. Step 10 should read to add the bread crumbs and cook 3 minutes. Then add the apples and green onions and cook 2 minutes. <br/>I split the recipe, making half tonight for dinner and put the rest in the freezer for quick fancy dinner later this month. The dish can get very spicy so if you are not into spicy food dramatically cut back on the seasoning mix. I would actually suggest you put a small amount into the stuffing and then add more or heavily season the pork chops if you want it hotter.