1/2 Photos of Stuffed Pork Chops
1 hr 20 mins
Bill Gary's Note:
It's taken me about 3 tries to get this right. This one is the savory version. I plan on making a sweet version as well. A couple of people have suggested using a pork tenderloin and rolling or wrapping it around the stuffing, I haven't tried it, you may ;)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 pork chops (for stuffing, 1 to 2 inches thick)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped mushroom
- 1/4 cup diced green bell peppers or 1/4 cup red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4-1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 cups toasted bread, cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup diced mushroom (optional)
- 1/4 cup finely diced green bell peppers or 1/4 cup red bell pepper
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup beef stock (or a combination) or 1/4 cup red wine (or a combination)
- 1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs (optional)
- 2 tablespoons melted butter (optional)
- 1Prepare the stuffing: In a medium saucepan, melt the butter and sauté the onions, garlic, celery, bell pepper, and mushrooms over medium heat until the vegetables have softened (about 10 minutes).
- 2Stir in parsley, thyme, salt, and pepper, mixing until well combined.
- 3Toss with bread cubes gently.
- 4Add liquid until bread cubes are just barely mushy on the outside (you may not need the whole 1/4 cup liquid, or you may need a little more).
- 5Stuff the pork chops: Slice pockets into the pork chops toward, but not quite reaching, the bone.
- 6Stuff each pork chop and seal with toothpicks (I jam pack the stuffing in there, feel free to do the same).
- 7Sauté the pork chops in 2 tablespoons butter for about 5 minutes per side, until browned.
- 8Remove toothpicks and set pork chops in a casserole or other baking dish that will hold them.
- 9If there is any stuffing left over, you may mound it on top of the pork chops.
- 10Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 11Prepare the sauce: In a medium saucepan, melt the butter and add all the vegetables.
- 12Cook over medium-high heat, stirring often, until all the vegetables are tender and the onions are translucent.
- 13Lower heat to medium and sprinkle with flour.
- 14Cook, stirring constantly, for about a minute.
- 15Whisk in the milk, scraping the pan as you go to get up all the flour.
- 16Cook, whisking often, until mixture begins to boil and thickens to a slightly thicker consistency than heavy cream.
- 17Immediately remove pan from heat and stir in cheddar cheese, stirring until the cheese is melted.
- 18Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 19Pour sauce over the pork chops.
- 20Prepare the topping: Stir the breadcrumbs into the butter until well combined.
- 21Sprinkle topping over the pork chops.
- 22If you're daring, lightly sprinkle the top with some very very finely grated cheddar cheese.
- 23Bake at 350 degrees for about 25 to 30 minutes, until the top is browned and the sauce is bubbly.
- 24Let stand for about 10 minutes unless you like third degree burns in your mouth.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Stuffed Pork Chops
Serving Size: 1 (530 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 737.0
- Calories from Fat 352
- Total Fat 39.1 g
- Saturated Fat 18.6 g
- Cholesterol 196.6 mg
- Sodium 770.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 53.6 g