Recipe by mollypaul
A family-pleaser from the Mississippi Valley chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 6 pork loin chops
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon minced onion
- 1 cup apple, peeled and chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- hot water
Directions See How It's Made
- Have the butcher cut the chops 1" thick with a pocket cut from the bone side (the membrane along this side contracts when heated and holds the edges of the pocket together without using toothpicks or skewers).
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Combine bread crumbs, onion, apple, salt and pepper; moisten with water.
- Pack into pockets in chops; place in baking pan, cover and bake for 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove cover for last 1/2 hour of baking.
- **Variation: omit apple; add 1/2 teaspoon sage, 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning, 1 tablespoon minced celery and 1 teaspoon minced parsley.