1/2 Photos of Stuffed Poblano Peppers (Oamc)
This is my recipe. I love chile relleno, but I wanted something with a little extra something and this is what I came up with. My DH and Sister absolutely love them as do my nephews. I usually do this in two steps (days) as it makes assembly easier. These freeze great so make a lot when peppers are in season.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 -6 large poblano peppers
- 1 lb sausage (Breakfast mild)
- 6 ounces chorizo sausage
- 2 green onions
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/2 cups Mexican blend cheese (shredded)
- 1Roast peppers either on a gas burner or in the broiler. I prefer the broiler because you can do all the peppers at once. Broil until skin is bubbly and starts to turn black, turn and broil all sides.
- 2Take out of broiler and put into a paper sack roll top down to seal and set aside.
- 3Fry sausages and drain. Add to other mixture ingredients and mix together.
- 4Cut stem out of peppers try to keep hole as small as possible and remove seeds by rinsing.
- 5Take mixture insert into hole on top of pepper, then use fingers to press to bottom of peppers. Do not pack too tight our you will tear the peppers. After all peppers are filled chill for 1 hour.
- 6Up to this step can be done ahead of time even up to 2 days ahead. You will want to take peppers out of fridge for 1/2 hour if they have been in there for longer than 3 hours.
- 7Mix batter ingredients, folding in eggs whites at the very last.
- 8Roll peppers in flour before dipping in batter.
- 9Heat oil in large skillet to 350°F or until batter dropped in bubbles and cooks slowly. Turn to make sure all sides are fried.
- 10If oil is too hot, batter will cook but inside will not get melty and gooey. If this happens take pepper and wrap in foil and place in oven at 350 for 10 minutes or so. Cooking time is per pepper.
- 11OAMC: Fry and then freeze. I wrap each individual pepper in foil. To reheat let thaw, place peppers in a cold oven and turn to 350°F Let cook about 30 minutes then unwrap foil to crisp up batter and cook for another 15 minutes. Just as good this way, maybe even better.
Browse Our Top Peppers Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Stuffed Poblano Peppers (Oamc)
Serving Size: 1 (250 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 712.8
- Calories from Fat 467
- Total Fat 51.8 g
- Saturated Fat 22.4 g
- Cholesterol 195.2 mg
- Sodium 1892.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 31.4 g