Recipe by dawnie2u
I adapted this recipe from Wildflour's "Cheeseburger-Stuffed" French Bread. I am trying to make some meals and snacks that can be frozen and later thawed and cooked, for those hectic nights, when fast food becomes a temptation. I came up with this variation because I had all these things in the pantry or refrigerator, and I wanted to use them up.
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb ground lean pork
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1 cup Ragu pizza sauce or 1 cup pizza sauce, of your choice
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar (optional)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 miniature bagels (I used Thomason's)
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown the ground beef and ground pork in a frying pan over medium-high heat, breaking the ground meats into small pieces as they brown.
- Add the chopped onion to the meat and brown until the onions are soft and translucent. Add garlic and stir for a minute.
- Stir in oregano and basil.
- Turn off the heat and add the pizza sauce, mix well. Add the parmesan cheese and mix until well-blended. Add optional sugar, if desired.
- Finally, fold the mozzarella cheese in, all at once. You want the mixture to be just warm enough to slightly melt the cheese, binding the meat mixture together.
- Taste the mixture and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Split the bagels and heap the meat mixture on the bottom, and put the top on.
- I nuked them for 15 seconds on high, which was just perfect to melt the cheese and warm the bagel. You could also bake them in an oven.
- To freeze, follow through step five, then place on a cookie sheet in the freezer. When frozen, wrap in plastic and place in Zip Loc bags. Reheat in oven or microwave.