This is an inexpensive recipe, made entirely on the stove top. Italian frying peppers, or cubanelles, are stuffed with beans and cheddar cheese and smothered in a tangy tomato sauce. Serve with rice or pasta of your choice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon dried onion, minced
- 8 ounces tomato sauce, divided
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth or 1/4 cup beef broth
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 4 cubanelle peppers (or 4 Italian frying peppers)
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1Drain and rinse beans; place in a mixing bowl and lightly mash with a fork so they are still chunky.
- 2Stir in cheese, dried onions, and 2 tablespoons tomato sauce (just enough to moisten) and set aside.
- 3In a saucepan, over medium low heat, combine remaining tomato sauce, vegetable or beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, brown sugar and vinegar; cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer while preparing peppers.
- 4Slice peppers lengthwise, leaving stems intact, but removing seeds and membranes.
- 5Stuff each half with bean mixture and season with salt and pepper.
- 6Heat a skillet with one tablespoon oil, over medium high heat, and place stuffed peppers, in batches, stuffing side down and cook 5 minutes.
- 7Flip peppers, and cook until peppers are browned, about 5 minutes; repeat with remaining peppers adding oil as needed.
- 8Pour sauce over peppers to serve; season with additional salt and pepper, if desired.
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Stuffed Peppers (No Meat No Rice)
Serving Size: 1 (324 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 313.9
- Calories from Fat 154
- Total Fat 17.1 g
- Saturated Fat 7.0 g
- Cholesterol 29.7 mg
- Sodium 822.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.6 g
- Sugars 9.1 g
- Protein 14.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: