Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Cobbled together from my memory of my mother making this, as well as several similar recipes here on RZ.
- 1 medium onion
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup raw rice
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup raisins, divided
- 4 bell peppers
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grate 1/4 of onion. Finely dice the rest of the onion and set aside.
- Combine grated onion with beef, rice, egg and 1/4 c raisins. Mix well without compacting the mixture too much.
- Remove the tops from the bell peppers. Remove the seeds and ribs. Fill peppers most of the way with the meat mixture.
- In a large, heavy pot, combine reserved diced onion, remaining raisins, tomato sauce, lemon juice, brown sugar, salt, and pepper. Add water to achieve the sauce thickness you like. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Stand the peppers in the sauce, and carefully spoon some sauce over each pepper. Cover the pot and place in the preheated oven for 90 minutes. Baste the peppers every 30 minutes.