Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
A beautiful, highly-flavored salad from humble beginnings. Use yellow or red bell peppers for variety, if you wish. Chilling time not included in preparation time. From the Western chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 2 green bell peppers
- 10 ounces pimiento cheese spread (store bought, Died & Went to Pimento Cheese Heaven (Pimiento), or your own recipe)
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- pimiento (optional)
- mayonnaise (use a good quality, such as Hellmann's)
- 1 lettuce head or 1 other salad greens
- Select well-shaped bell peppers; cut stem end off, remove all seeds and membranes, and stuff with pimiento cheese spread.
- Cover and chill several hours or overnight.
- Slice in 1/4" slices with a very sharp knife.
- Place 3 slices on each of six individual beds of lettuce or salad greens.
- Make a cream cheese rosette in the center of the salad.
- Add a bit of pimiento to center of flower and bits of bell pepper stuck in the side for leaves.
- Serve with mayonnaise.